I wanted an easy to make Christmas stocking that kids can sew as a challenge for my Sew a Softie Facebook group…something simple, fun and quick that mums and grandmas could make with their kids. I think this would be a lovely family activity before Christmaswhere everyone could design and make their own Christmas stocking. All that you have to sew in this project is the outline of the stocking, so it really is easy for newbies.
On the stockings above I’ve used a tree design from felt and buttons. Elsewhere I’ve decorated stockings with snowflake shapes or with the stocking owners name cut from different coloured felt letters. But your kids will have no trouble coming up with their own designs. Just have lots of coloured felt and decorations on hand and the kids (and adults) will be happy.
I’d love to see what you and your kids make and invite you to post your stockings in the Facebook group. And if you have any questions about sewing, the Facebook group is a great place to ask.
What you need:
Two 45 cm X 30 cm pieces of felt
What to do:
1. Print out the stocking template. Cut out the two halves and tape them together to complete the stocking’s shape. Pin this template onto each of the 45 cm X 30 cm pieces of felt and cut out two stocking shapes.
2. Take one of the shapes and sew two parallel lines across the toe, around the heel and across the top of the stocking. These are just decorative touches that you can leave out if you want.
4. Place the stocking face up on top of the remaining stocking shape. Pin the two shapes together.
5. Cut a 10 cm x 1 cm strip of felt to make a loop for the stocking to hang from. Pin the loop into place between the front and back sides of the stocking.
6. Sew the two sides together keeping your sewing line about 1/2 cm in from the edge of the stocking. Now your Christmas stocking is ready for Santa to fill.
If your kids have caught the sewing bug and are begging to sew something else, and it will happen, the let them try these easy to sew Christmas plushies …but I call them softies 🙂