Some weeks ago Spotlight asked me to create a simple piranha softie kids can sew for Aaron Blabey’s book Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas. I loved the personality of the piranha and designed a simple softie of his character. This softie really is easy to sew…it’s made from only two pieces of felt…and it makes a great activity for mums to sew with or for their kids.
Here’s my tutorial for a simple piranha softie kids can sew:
What you need
20cm x 30cm dark green felt
20cm x 30cm light green felt
White and black felt for eyes and teeth
Felt marker or wax pencil
Hot glue gun
What to do
1. Download piranha template. Copy and cut out.
2. Place the template on the dark green felt and trace around. Draw in the piranha’s mouth. Place the dark green felt on top of the light green felt. Pin together.
3. Sew along the line you have drawn for the piranha’s mouth and body. This is indicated in the template by a dashed line. Remember to leave an opening for stuffing.
4. Cut around the piranha ½ cm from the sewing line and around the tail and fin.
5. Stuff firmly. Pin and sew the opening closed.
6. Glue on an eye and teeth and cut fringes in the fin and tail. Finally, glue an eye to the reverse side to complete your piranha softie.
And remember…don’t feed him any bananas.