Froggy is one of the softie projects in my book Sew Together Grow Together: Sewing Projects for Parents and Kids but here’s a quick free frog softie pattern for you to try.
WHAT YOU NEED:
WHAT TO DO:
1) Download and cut out the template.
2) Pin your two pieces of fabric right sides together
3) Trace around the template. The line you are drawing is your sewing line.
4) Sew around Froggy leaving a gap for turning.
5) Now trim about ¼” from your sewing line…and turn right side out.
6) Fill Froggy with about one and a half cups of rice…pin and sew the gap closed.
7) glue on wiggly eyes.
Remember…Froggy needs to be sewn with a small running stitch or back stitch so that the rice doesn’t “leak” out.
In classes I only make Froggy with my “experienced sewers” as his curves can be a bit tricky to sew, especially around the little webbed fingers…so if you’re making this with your kids and want to simplify his curves you can round out his hands as shown by the dotted line in the template.
The girls in my classes LOVE to dress Froggy up…tutu-like skirts from lace, beaded bracelets, little knitted scarves, necklaces, bows/ribbons, etc…as you can see, Froggy usually ends up as a girl…my Froggy, however, is a boy.
If you’re not sure what stitches to teach your kids take a look at my Essential Stitches guide.